Wisdom tooth extraction is a dental surgical procedure that requires removal of one or more permanent wisdom teeth in both the upper and lower back part of our mouth. Also called third molars, these are usually the last set of teeth to develop in your mouth, and they come out between the age of 17 and 25.
Some dentists or surgeons would advise wisdom tooth extraction especially if they are impacted and have no room to grow. The procedure is done under anesthesia to prevent pain when the tooth is being pulled out, but extraction cannot be performed if there is an infection. At Forever Smiles Turlock we offer wisdom tooth extractions for problematic third molars.
The process of extracting a wisdom tooth is simple given the following steps below:
- After making sure that the tooth is free of infection, local anesthesia will be administered. If all of the wisdom teeth need to be pulled out, general anesthesia will be used.
- In order to expose the tooth and the bone, a cut will be made on the gum tissue, so the tooth is extracted efficiently.
- The part of the extracted tooth will be cleaned and if necessary, the wound will be stitched although these stitches may dissolve over time.
- Cotton gauze will be placed over the site to prevent bleeding.
After the Procedure
The recovery period takes only a few days, unless if you are under general anesthesia. You will be prescribed pain relievers by the dentist, or you can get over-the-counter painkillers. Please call our office right away if bleeding persists 24 hours after the extraction. Here are some more tips to follow after your wisdom tooth extraction:
- Avoid eating solid food as it may open up the wound. It is recommended to eat only soft foods for the first 24 hours or few days, depending on how fast the wound heals.
- Do not engage in any physical activity a few days after the procedure.
- Gargle with salt water every so often to minimize swelling.
- Drink plenty of water, but avoid using straws, it may loosen the blood clot and cause bleeding.
If your wisdom teeth are causing you problems, please schedule an appointment with us by calling (209) 500-1234. Our office is located at 1850 Colorado, Ave., Turlock, CA 95382.